Thursday, May 6, 2010

Out with the old...

The night after I broke up with my first serious boyfriend- who happened to be the biggest loser on the face of the earth (can I pick em or what?)- my family was headed up to Cleveland to see Ron White. He's one of the Blue Collar Comedy guys and he's pretty freakin hilarious. Anyway, we were in the car on the way up and Bro mentioned that his Girlfriend had gotten an e-mail about an abused pitbull that needed a home. It said 'his name is Buddy, he's had a hard life, but he's put that past him and just wants to be your Buddy.' I didn't hesitate, I said "e-mail them back, let's get Buddy. I want Buddy!" Besides being a companion, I figured a new dog would keep my mind off my A-Hole ex. Buddy was not meant to be ours, but it's all good- he was adopted that night before we got home from the show. From that day on, it was a hunt for 'Our dog.'

Now some of you may be thinking Pitbull?! Aren't those the dogs that eat little kids? Well, yeah, maybe, when they are raised by psychopaths and drug dealers. Honestly, I used to think the same way. My first experience with a pitbull was a mean little pit whose owner had no control over it. A mean dog with a negligent owner, no matter what the breed, is a bad combination. Anyway, I didn't think I liked pits until I met Rebel. Bro's girlfriend has 2 dogs, Brutus and Rebel. Brutus is a huge old black teddy bear of a lab mix and Rebel is a big goofy sweetie pie pit bull. The first night I met Rebel we had a party at the house, things got a little wild (happens to the best of us, right?) I was puking off the porch before midnight. A Life Lesson was learned that night- Life Lesson #59, do not mix cold medicine with alcohol. I went to bed with the Zucchini Rotten Hell Bowl next to my pillow, just in case, and woke up in the morning, hating my life.

Wait. Zucchini Rotten Hell Bowl, I can't just throw that out there and not explain- Once upon a time I grated a bunch of zucchini to make z bread with chocolate chips. I didn't get every single little piece of zucchini out of the bowl- those pesky little hangers on stuck to the sides. Thinking nothing of it, I threw the bowl in the sink and went on my merry way. A few days later I came home to the unwashed bowl, still in the sink, but now with the caption "Zucchini Rotten Hell Bowl" written on it. APPARENTLY rotting zucchini smells like hell. And in my roommates minds, writing that the bowl smells like rotten zucchini hell makes the smell go away. Not washing it, heck no! It's been 2 years and you can still read Rotten Zucchini Hell Bowl- I don't think it's ever coming off. Ok, back to my story.

So I was hungover as all get out, but I had to pee. Isn't that the worst? You're afraid you'll puke if you move, but if you don't move you'll pee yourself?? So anyway, I stumbled down the steep, narrow steps from my attic room, 'The North Wing' as we call it, to use the bathroom. It was far to much work to go back upstairs to bed, so I curled up in our hideous (but oh so comfy) casted off, casted off, casted off teal green leather arm chair. (Whoever bought the furniture in the first place had zero taste or was color blind. And the person that designed the furniture and decided to cover it in teal leather should be slapped.) That's about the time Rebel came prancing downstairs from Bro's room. She walked up to me, licked my knee then climbed up and sat on me. Now I'm hungover with a 100 pound dog sitting on my lap looking at me like 'This is ok right? Cuz I wanna sit with you, ok? I know you don't feel good but I still love you, so Hey, while I'm here, pet me, Please Please Please PET ME!" How could I refuse? Which at the time, for me, was super impressive. I was just out of college and not into pets. I wouldn't like kick a puppy or anything- I just didn't want to get all furry, stinky, gross from having a dog or a cat all up on me. I was so not into animals my mom would wish that I would fall in love with a vet- just because she thought my it would be hilaroius. After that though, me n Rebel were buds. We even spent a drunken (well, I was drunk) night cuddling on the floor of Girls house after a wedding.

So I knew Rebel was a pit, and I knew I liked her. Then one day I was bored, flipping through the channels and came across a tv show "Pitbulls & Parolees" on Animal Planet. Good thing it was a marathon, becuase I was HOOKED! It's a show about the largest pitbull rescue in the country, Villa Lobos, that is run by parolees from the county jail- the main themes though are about second chances and misconceptions. It shows these rescuers going to find abandoned and abused dogs, who have such a stereotype against them, who if you believe the stereotype should try to eat these people trying to rescue them- but in reality, 9 times out of 10 the dog comes running up to them like 'Hey! Get me outta here! I want to be with you! Got any hotdogs, I'm starvin!' My interest was definetly piqued, so I checked out their website www.vrcpitbull.com. I was totally sucked in, looking at pictures and bios of dogs up for adoptoin. Now I'm realizing how sad it is that it took me days to go through all the dogs that were up for adoption. The A-Hole Ex was still around and he was all for adopting one. I was like Really? You can't even take care of yourself and you want to get a dog? Come on. So fast forward a few months, A-Hole is gone (Lets sing it! Ding dog the dick is gone!) and Bro and I were looking at becoming pit parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment