Friday, May 7, 2010

In with the new!


So I've come to realize, it's a heck of a lot easier kicking a 50 pound snoring dog out of bed than kicking a 250 pound snoring man out of bed. If I have to sleep with a snorer, I prefer the canine variety. When we first brought Floyd home, February 2, 2010, I tentatively broached the subject I was nervous about, "So, uh, he's gonna sleep with you, right?" I asked Bro. He looked at me, his eyes got wide and he was like, "I thought for sure you'd want him to sleep with you!" "No way! I just got my bed back to myself, I'm not ready to share yet!" So the first few nights the boys bunked together and I sprawled out, loving the peace, quiet and ample leg room in my queen sized bed. THat weekend Bro went to Girls house, so I (somewhat reluctantly) let Floyd-o sleep with me. We had a little power struggle at first. No Floyd, you do not get the pillow. No Floyd, you do not get under the covers. Really? Floyd, must you sleep in the middle of the bed? Once we worked out that the bottom third, from the duvet cover uo was Floyd Territory, everything went smoothly. Ever since, we basically share him at night. The few nights a week when we're both home, Floyd chooses who he wants to sleep with based on who goes to bed closest to the time Floyd is ready for bed. He's pathetic. We're pathetic for letting him rule us like we do. But, what can I say? We love him.


I didn't realize he acted differently with Bro in the mornings than he did with me, until one moring Bro came downstairs laughing. He said, "when he wakes up he's ready to play, he just wants to play and rip around." I laughed and said, "really? because when he sleeps with me I tell him 'time to get up,' he skooches up the bed and snuggles next to me almost like saying 'just 5 more minutes.' I literally wake up early to cuddle with Floyd before getting ready for work. Now, that being said- do I seem like the type of girl to sleep with, let alone wake up early to cuddle a blood thirsty killing machine? I know some of you odn't know me all that well- but no. I am not that type of girl. And yeah, I've heard it said, it's not the pitbull in general- it's all how they're raised. If they're raised in a kind loving home, they'll be kind, loving dogs. Well Curve Ball for ya- we adopted Floyd at 2 1/2 years old. He had been abused. The people at the shelter, where he had been for almost a year, could only tell us he was picked up with 3 other dogs because they had no food, no water and deep lacerations. You should see the scars on my poor boy. Girl calls him Scar Face. And still, he has the capacity to trust us, learn from us, to love us. That is why we adopted a pitbull.
**Note the teal green leather chair...

No comments:

Post a Comment