Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The best thing

One year ago January 21, I did the second best thing I've ever done for myself. I got out of a toxic relationship with a complete douche bag. Looking back now, I kick myself for getting into it in the first place, let alone letting it last 10 months. What I learned from that experience- there is never a good time to break up with someone. There is always SOMETHING coming up, a birthday, anniversary, holiday, illness, money trouble, car trouble, job trouble... next time, it could be Valentines day, his birthday, our anniversary, the day he fell down and broke his arm and lost his job- but if it's not right, he's gettin the boot.

I also learned that life is too short to go through unhappy.

So one year ago today, February 2, I did the best thing I've ever done for myself and brought lots and lots of Happy to my life. I adopted Floyd. Well, Bro and I did it together, but he's in my name and he likes me better (I feed him more). Its kind of ridiculous if you knew how I felt about animals before, to how I feel about Floyd now. Don't get me wrong, I still don't like your dog or your cat, but I LOVE mine.

For instance, this morning I realized I had dog poop on my jeans when I got to work. It was a very small spot, but regardless, it was poop. On my jeans. Before this last year I would have wigged out, gone home, showered, changed, wondered how the hell I ended up with dog poop on me to begin with... now, I was just glad it wasn't dog poop puke and went on with my day. You haven't lived til your dog is puking up turds in your car. The memory of that evening still makes me queasy.

This last year Floyd and I have gone through some high's- he (very rarely) gets car sick anymore, he doesn't want to eat every dog he meets (just the little ones), he is awesome on a leash (with his gentle leader), he's a great cuddler, he loves to play dress up, he will sit and not eat his food until I tell him it's ok. That's our best accomplishment with him. He was starved when he was brought into the shelter. For him to trust me enough to know he'll get to eat, no matter how long I make him wait... that's amazing to me.

We've also had some lows- he ate my bathroom (including the water hose to the toilet- can we say flood?), he puked dog poop in my car, he got poop on my jeans, my boots, my socks, my bed..., he's got separation anxiety and would tear up the house, poop and piss every time we left if he wasn't crated, he tripped me when we were running and I rolled my ankle because he was an idiot on the leash, he manages to find the one protruding object in the yard and get his line wrapped around it in the rain.

Even though the lows list is longer than the highs, I wouldn't trade him for anything. I hate sounding like such a nerd, but he really is the best thing. I can't wait to see all the highs I can list by next year!

Don't believe the Bull, Adopt a Pit!

No comments:

Post a Comment